Looking after yourself

The retrenchment process can be a difficult time. It’s important to look after your health and the health of your family. On this page is information about how to stay positive and healthy while you look for a job, and information about support services that can assist you to do so.


If you want to talk to someone immediately, help is available

  • Lifeline provides online, phone and face-to-face crisis support. You can call them on 13 11 14.
  • beyondblue provides a free support service and information resources on depression and anxiety for all age groups. You can call them on 1300 22 46 36.
  • MensLine provides a telephone and online support, information and referral service, helping men to deal with relationship problems in a practical and effective way. You can call them on 1300 78 99 78.
  • MindSpot is an online and telephone clinic providing free assessment and treatment services for Australian adults with anxiety or depression. You can call them on 1800 61 44 34.
  • Gambling support is available through the National Gambling Helpline. You can call them on 1800 858 858.
  • Relationships Australia provides relationship support services for individuals, families and communities. You can call them on 1300 364 277.

Family and Domestic Violence Assistance

You can expect to have a range of reactions to losing your job and it is important to take care of your health and wellbeing – and that of your family – during this time. If you or someone you know is experiencing problems, including domestic and family violence, talking to someone is an important first step.

  • If you are in immediate danger, please call 000. You can also contact 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732 or www.1800respect.org.au) to speak to a qualified domestic violence counsellor, and access local support services to assist you. 1800RESPECT is the National Sexual Assault, Family and Domestic Violence Service which provides support to people who are experiencing or are at risk of experiencing sexual assault, family and/or domestic violence, or who have experienced this in the past.
  • The Family Relationships Advice Line is a national service that assists families impacted by relationship or separation issues, including family and domestic violence. You can call them on 1800 050 321.
  • Information about seeking legal advice and supports when you have experienced or are experiencing family or domestic violence can be found online at familyviolencelaw.
  • Domestic Violence Units and Health Justice Partnerships operate around Australia and provide legal advice and assistance, as well as non-legal services, to women and their children who have experienced family or domestic violence. A list of the domestic violence unit locations and relevant contact details is available online at domestic violence assistance.

Health and lifestyle

The retrenchment process can be a difficult time and it is important that you look after yourself both physically and mentally.

Even if you feel that you are coping with your new situation, it is worthwhile considering what support is available to you. The people around you, especially your family, are also affected by your new situation.

The beyondblue Taking care of yourself after losing your job booklet contains helpful information on many areas you may not have considered, including:

  • Common reactions to losing your job
  • Dealing with the emotional impact of losing your job; and
  • Taking care of your family.

It also contains problem solving worksheets and budgeting tips.

How are your children feeling?

Kids Helpline provides a free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25. You or your children can call them on 1800 55 1800.

Headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation for 12 to 25 year olds. Headspace provides information and support for young people, as well as parents and carers who are concerned about their children.

Mental and physical wellbeing

There are many other services available to you, too:

  • For healthy living tips visit Eat for Health
  • Quitline is a confidential free telephone service for people who want to quit smoking. You can call them on 13 78 48
  • Your General Practitioner (GP) can provide support
  • You can find a counsellor in your workplace or through your employer's employee assistance programme
  • R U OK? provides tips to help you to meaningfully ask others "are you OK?"
  • The Australian National University National Institute for Mental Health Research, MoodGYM website
  • A Mindfulness in Everyday Life handout is available in the Mindfulness section of the Wellbeing page on the Black Dog Institute website
  • A Positive Psychology fact sheet is available in the Positive psychology section of the Depression Treatment page on the Black Dog Institute website

Help with Finances

It is important to get your finances in order quickly to make sure you have enough money to last until you find another job.

Getting Financial Advice

If you think that you may be in immediate financial difficulty, you should seek financial counselling.

Financial counsellors provide information and support to assist people in financial difficulty. There are free financial counselling services in every State and Territory in Australia.

Financial Counselling Australia can link you to financial counsellors in your area.

You can also use the Money Smart (ASIC) online search engine for local financial counselling services and Centrelink also provides a free Financial Information Service (call 13 23 00 and say "Financial Information Service").


Creating a budget will help you plan for your new financial situation. It will also help you work out how long your redundancy payment will last. A budget should include your bills, such as loans, insurance and school-fees, as well as the money you need to live day to day (buying groceries and petrol, for example). Remember to make other arrangements for any direct debits that you have currently tied to the account your salary/ wages were deposited into.

These resources may be able to help you with financial advice and help:

  • MoneySmart is a government website with tips and tools to help make the most of your finances, including a DIY budget toolkit, how to manage your money, or deal with credit or debt. Visit the Smart Money website.
  • Centrelink’s Financial Information Service run free seminars about financial matters. Visit the Services Australia website.
  • Financial Counselling Australia can link you to free financial counsellors in your area. Visit the Financial Counselling Australia website.
  • NAB Budget Planner - to help you control your monthly income and expenses.
  • The Australian Taxation Office can provide advice on taxation of redundancy payments. Visit the ATO website.